Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh Ira, You Cut to the Core of Me...

   I have never been a fan of listening to radio shows, morning talk shows, sporting events, just all sorts of radio shows. However that has all changed thanks to one man, Ira Glass, and his amazing show, This American Life! I had heard about the show, but since I wasn't a fan of radio didn't think I would be interested in listening, however the more I heard about it the more intrigued I became. Cait was the one who finally got me hooked on it by "sharing part of her soul" as she so aptly put it. I am now obsessed and can't imagine missing a week of it. Every week they pick a topic and have different stories on said topic. The topics include everything, from Christmas stories to stories about money and everyday things about American life. Even only listening to it for the past month I have bawled my eyes out in the same episode as laughing so hard my stomach hurts. It really is something that everyone can enjoy. And Ira Glass the host is simply amazing. He gets to you in a way that you didn't think possible, so much so that I feel obligated to donate to help keep the show running after only listening to it for a short period of time. I suggest you all listen at least once to see what it's about, and let's be honest once you listen to one show you will be hooked for life! You can either download the free podcasts to Itunes weekly or listen online to the streaming episodes. They also have a TV show, which I can imagine would be just as good. So for those of you who have never listened to it, give it a shot! And for those of you who have already listened, you know exactly how I feel!




To help you get started:  This American Life

No comments:

Post a Comment