Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Some Clever "Adrian-isms"...

No trip to London is complete without some clever sayings from my uncle Adrian (who was born and raised in London). Every time I am with them, more and more of these sayings are brought to my attention and I can't help myself from laughing. Not all of them are true "sayings"; some are more hysterical comments. Here is just a smattering of some of them so far on this trip:


- a bisexual bathroom: After going to the loo in a chocolate shop/cafe, Adrian comes back to the table and tells Enid and I that he thoroughly enjoyed the "bisexual bathroom" aka the unisex bathroom. Laughter and hilarity clearly ensued.


- a chocolate lab with white socks aka a "springer": While walking through the gardens in Bath, a springer spaniel was walking with its owner towards us. Adrian commented that "a chocolate lab with white socks" was coming towards us. Not being a dog lover, he was unaware that the dog was in fact a springer spaniel, which he then called a "springer".


- the old nut-less wonder: While at the horse races at Kempton Place on Monday, Enid picked one horse Gandalf for one of her races. Gandalf, we later found out, was about 8 years old (one of the oldest horses in that race against 2 and 3 year olds) and had just become a gelding (meaning he had just gotten the snip snip). Gandalf, was known for the rest of the day, as "the old nut-less wonder".


It will definitely be sad to leave London on Thursday morning, as I have had a fabulous time. We of course stopped at the Coronation Hall last night for a pint before heading to a delicious Italian dinner. For those of you who don't know, the Coronation Hall is a pub right by the Surbiton train station, where my uncle proposed to my aunt after about 10 days (more or less) of knowing each other! As it is one of the most romantic stories, it is also one of my favorite to tell haha. Today is another relaxing day filled with walking around, shopping, maybe a nap, and more pub frequenting and dinner tonight. Tomorrow we are headed into London for the day to walk around Covent Garden (one of my favorite places in London) and to eat at The Canton, a spectacular Chinese restaurant in Chinatown (duh where else haha), where Adrian has been going since he was a little boy. I have been there about 4 times or so and have never been let down by the food or the service, so am excited to go back again! I have also fallen in love again with the walking culture and atmosphere that you find only in Europe. I was a bit nervous that I would be out of walking shape and would be sore and extremely tired after a day of walking around everywhere, but I haven't found that to be true and have only seen the benefits (hello looser jeans!). I'm hoping the benefits will only continue when I get to Logrono, as I would assume I will be doing a lot of walking as it's a smaller town and Spain is a definite walking country.


Time to hit the pavement and walk into Kingston again with Adrian to meet up with Enid for some lunch, shopping, and what else?! more walking!

1 comment:

  1. Gandalf was supposed to win us our millions. Oh, to be let down by the old nut-less wonder!

    ReplyDelete