Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Joys of Piso Living


Oh the wonders of living in a piso. How do you begin to describe them? Our piso is a bit on the older side and that is something that I definitely love about it. But it is also something I hate about it. The building itself is beautiful and definitely feels old, but sometimes it feels a bit too old. I love the layout of our place with our big living room, but I don’t like that we don’t have central heating and must rely on radiators to heat the place, especially when these radiators are weaker than the space heater that I use in my room (because my room is too tiny to fit a radiator). I love our quirky bathroom with the chain hanging from the ceiling to flush the toilet (yes confusing at first let me tell you), but I don’t like how the pipes don’t work and have caused the wall in my room to become wet and grow with mold. And I of course love my roommates!
            Now our neighbors are a different story entirely. I sometimes think that there should be a reality show in our apartment building with all of the random and hysterical and sometimes annoying people we have living with us. First let’s start with our neighbors across the hall from us. I just happen to be the lucky one with the room that is next to the courtyard, meaning that my room is the closest to their apartment. They keep the windows to every room wide open no matter what the weather is like, which means that any time I open my window I can see directly into their piso! Not to mention the woman is crazy! She is constantly yelling and screaming at her husband and kids, although we’re not entirely sure if they do have kids since we’ve never seen them (only once creeping in the window haha). She has an extremely harsh voice, which just adds to the fact that she is always mad at the world and swearing. Then we have our new neighbors above us who just moved in last week.  I swear that they are rollerblading around up there because it sounds like someone or something is skating around. And their excellent taste in music! Now I don’t have a great taste in music but enough to know that being woken up on a Sunday morning to heavy metal is not my cup of tea! And last but not least we have our neighbor who lives several floors up. We have never seen this neighbor but hear him every day! He has a bird that he likes to imitate. The bird will start squawking and then the man will make the same noise as the bird. This goes on for hours at a time, and always at that exact moment when you are trying to take a siesta or trying to plan a lesson. Needless to say if that bird ever gets loose into the courtyard and happens to fly by our piso, he will never return!
            I am seriously considering using my free time (which at 12 hours a week of working I have ample free time) to start shooting a documentary on the ridiculousness that is piso living in Logrono. Perhaps I can call it True Life: I live with crazies in Logrono! 

No comments:

Post a Comment