Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making Some Mosto...


            Today I was able to partake in quite the interesting experience at my school in Navarette. Every year the little kids (3, 4, 5 year olds) go to a vineyard after the grapes for the wine have been harvested, and pick the grapes that are too small or not sufficient for wine making. After they pick the grapes, they bring them back to the school, and the following day they stomp the grapes to make Mosto. Mosto is the first step in the wine making process, so it is before the grapes have fermented and turned into alcohol. It tastes a lot like grape juice! The whole process is hysterical and quite fun, as you must stomp the grapes to get the juice out. When one of the teachers heard that I had never done that (because of course it’s super common in the States to stomp grapes haha), she insisted that I skip class and partake in the festivities! So I was able to stomp my own grapes, and even try some of our homemade Mosto... quite delicious! I can now say that I’ve taken part in one step of the wine making process! I took some pictures of the whole experience, as well as a video. The video is sideways, but it's well worth turning your head to watch and listen to them sing the "grape stomping" song!


Stomping like crazy!

They absolutely loved it!

Now it's my turn

Luckily I didn't fall haha



No comments:

Post a Comment