Wednesday, November 3, 2010

One Month Down...


            I can’t believe it’s already been a month since I arrived in Spain! Sometimes it feels like I just got here yesterday and other times it feels like I’ve been here for 6 months already. Being back in Spain has made me realize that there are things that I absolutely love about Spain, but also things that irritate me and make me miss the U.S. I’m sure I will add to this list the longer I’ve been here, but here are some of the things that I adore about Spain and some of the things that really make me miss the U.S.A.

I could stay here forever:
·      Wine is abundant in Spain and no other region more so than La Rioja. I love that I can get my favorite bottle of wine for 4 euro at any grocery store.
·      The bread and the pastries here are incredible. I have never craved bread more in my life than when I am in Spain, and I am okay with that.
·      My students are absolutely amazing! Nothing makes me feel more appreciated and loved than when all the 1st graders jump up when I come into the classroom and give me the biggest group hug one can imagine.
·      Siesta and all things that come with Spanish life. I love their attitude towards life that is ‘things will happen when they happen, no need to rush through life and not enjoy it’.
·      The use of public transportation and walking here is amazing. I love seeing everyone out walking; young, old, middle aged. It also seems like everything is within walking distance in Spain, which has been great on my waistline to say the least!

I miss the good old U.S. of A.:
·      There is zero sense of urgency or customer service here. Normally that doesn’t bother me, but for some reason it has really irked me this time in Spain. It took over 3 hours for the carpenter to hang up a clothesline because he would frequently stop and take breaks. It also took over 2 weeks for our Internet to be installed because the technician didn’t feel like coming.
·      People are extremely slow walkers here. I’m not sure if it’s the large population of old people or if it’s just everyone walks slow here, but I am a fast walker and I can’t stand getting stuck behind people crawling and taking up the entire width of the sidewalk.
·      Blonde haired people are not common in Spain, but they are not non-existent. For the love of god, take a picture people it lasts longer!
·      The time difference has really been hard for me this time around when it comes to keeping in contact with people at home.  Being in the same time zone would really make things easier sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment